Lessons And Realizations From UK Life; Story 1

In my previous post, I mentioned how I used to see myself as a daring woman within my comfort zone. However, reality has a way of teaching us who we really are. This story from my life in the UK is one of those lessons that opened my eyes to the harsh truths of the world, particularly about how money can change people.

When I first arrived in the UK, I found a shared accommodation and settled into a room. The other residents were a family—a couple with a 5-year-old son named Jinu. At first, they were incredibly supportive. The wife, Sini, was quite talkative and often shared her struggles of adjusting to life in the UK. Her husband, Josh, was more reserved. Despite my circumstances, they went out of their way to help me, even sharing their food when I had nothing but Maggie noodles for dinner. Sini made sure I didn’t go to bed hungry, and I was truly grateful for their kindness. I even informed my family back home about how fortunate I felt to have found such caring housemates.

However, as time passed, things started to change. Being alone in a new country, missing my family, and adjusting to a different education system were all overwhelming. On top of that, I was battling depression, a struggle that many international students in the UK face. The cold weather only made things worse. My room, which was spacious and had a front wall made entirely of glass, became unbearably cold as winter set in. In contrast, Sini and her family’s room was smaller, with tightly closed windows and, crucially, the only heater in the house.

The heater was located in Sini’s room, and whenever I felt cold, I had to ask her to turn it on. She would oblige, but only for 10 minutes, just long enough to warm up her room but not mine. This small but significant issue began to affect me more and more. My hands would freeze while working on my laptop, making it difficult to complete assignments. Since I didn’t have a mouse, I had to remove my gloves to scroll or click, only to put them back on a moment later to avoid the cold. This constant battle with the cold was exhausting.

When I asked Sini to keep the heater on longer, she refused, citing concerns about the electricity bill. I even offered to contribute, but she still declined. Eventually, I started going to a friend’s house to work on my assignments, just to escape the freezing cold in my own room.

At that time, I was unemployed and struggling financially. Out of the blue, Sini approached me one day, asking for £90 towards the Wi-Fi bill. I was taken aback. I didn’t have that kind of money, but I told her I could try to pay if it was urgent, though I would need some time. She seemed understanding and said they would manage without it.

But after that, everything changed. Sini began to judge me for everything I did. At a time when I was already overwhelmed with assignments and barely holding it together, she would make snide remarks about how she had suffered much more and accused me of overreacting. I couldn’t understand how she could dismiss my struggles so easily, as if my exhaustion wasn’t real. After humiliating me, she would smile as if she had won some twisted game. Was this all because I couldn’t give her the money? I still don’t know.

This incident, while significant, was just one of many that I experienced in that house. It made me realize how money, jealousy, and ego can turn people against each other. I learned that the kindness some people offer can quickly disappear when money is involved.

In my next post, I will delve into more incidents that happened in that house—events that revolved solely around money and the impact it had on relationships.


Reflection:

Through this experience, I learned some hard truths about life and human nature. While it was a difficult time, it taught me valuable lessons about resilience, self-reliance, and the importance of setting boundaries. I’m sharing these stories not just as a cautionary tale, but as a reminder that we all have the strength to overcome adversity, even when it feels like the world is against us.

Stay tuned for the next post, where I’ll share more about the challenges I faced and how I navigated through them.

Comments